Clint_dempsey_ap

Here are some U.S. soccer-related tidbits for you to get you through your afternoon (morning on the West Coast) funk:

Dempsey’s new deal

Fulham midfielder and U.S. national team star Clint Dempsey has signed a new deal with Fulham. That is at least one American who will be back with the Cottagers next season (I would imagine Brian McBride makes two).

Olympic Streaker poses for Playboy

Everybody’s favorite soccer streaker left many fans questioning her status as a streaker because she had clothes on when she crashed the U.S. team’s Olympic Qualifying match in March. Well, Tiffany May has taken care of that by posing for Playboy (Not quite SFW link). Maybe now Hunter Freeman can get a good look at her after averting his eyes the last time around.

USA-Argentina crowd grows

Those of you still waiting to buy your tickets to USA-Argentina at Giants Stadium might want to get to your phone or computer. The pre-sale for the match has now surpassed 40,000. That is going to be some atmosphere for that match. Speaking of upcoming USA friendlies, there is STILL no word from U.S. Soccer on ticket details for the USA-SPain friendly. Blame the Spanish Federation, which has yet to pass along the information.

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, New Jersey Soccer News, U.S. Men's National Team, U.S. Men's Olympic Team. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to American soccer notes: Dempsey’s new deal, the Olympic streaker returns and USA-Argentina tix update

1. Barry Jive and His Uptown Five says:

Anybody receive their USA/ARG tickets yet?

2. Matt says:

Ives, I’m a Chelsea fan so I’m not in a funk. Taking it to the last day against Man United is a massive achievement. Keep picking against the Blues, Ives. It’s working a treat!

3. Ives says:

Matt, what are you talking about exactly?

4. Matt says:

Just a bit of gentle ribbing. Someone pointed out that you’d picked Chelsea to lose in each of the knockout rounds of the CL.

5. john in atl says:

Received my USA/ARG tix in the mail about 10 days ago. Ordered thru Ticketmaster’s website during the USSF presale, service charges and all.

6. RK says:

So much for her “not embarrassing her family” when asked why she didn’t run sans clothing…

7. Andrew Karl says:

any clues as to how much Deuce is getting paid now?

8. Ives says:

I picked Fenerbahce against them, which was just an upset special, and Liverpool, which wasn’t exactly a reach.

I’ll be sure to pick Chelsea to win the Champions League final now that I know I’m the good luck charm. LOL.

9. sublicon says:

Damn you, Playboy! You know how to inspire my curiosity and get the money out of my wallet!!

10. inkedAG says:

I also got my USA-ARG tix. I received a Visa pre-sale email, or something like that.

11. Matt says:

Ives, Noooooooo!!!

Please pick ManU!

12. dano says:

Michael Bradley just got sent off in the champs league playoff vs. Ajax. 2nd yellow was deserved, the first was pretty soft.

13. Danny says:

So now Fulham will retain Dempsey, Johnson, and likely McBride. Bocanegra has to be gone. Germany perhaps? Keller? Who knows. Maybe I’ll keep watching Fulham after all. Maybe one of these websites will actually get some jerseys and such to make a few bucks in the U.S.A.

14. northzax says:

Danny,

there is a website that features Fulham Jerseys, I shan’t name it as it could be a competitor to this fine establishment without Ives’ permission, since it is not listed on the ‘blog roll.’ it specializes in Americans overseas…

15. RS says:

My US v Argentina tickets came in the mail early last week. Upper deck Row 4 sideline view. Cant wait.

16. KD says:

Any idea when tickets ordered through Sam’s Army are going to arrive?

17. Ben Olsen says:

American’s overseas? LOL. I’ve heard its simply that Nike does not release the Fulham shirt in America. Licensing issues,etc. Ask them yourself. The guy at Niketown said they will release it come fall ’08 – so thats good news. Anything you will find in the US is either a fake, or someone paid very much to have it imported from Europe. In that case (and assuming they are not simply giving it away to you) be prepared to pay!

Ives – thanks for picking Chelsea – go United!

40,000 for Argentina. WOW. That will be a great game. Hopefully the weather is nice that Sunday!

DCU!

18. CD says:

Deuce might of wanted to wait until next Monday before he decided to (or not) sign that contract extension.

19. Jeremy says:

I was thinking the same thing CD. If Fulham goes down, I am sure that Deuce would have been able to sign on with another BPL team.

20. Jacob S. says:

I ordered my tickets during the RBNY presale and received them last week.

21. kpugs says:

Ouch, Heerenveen lost today with Bradley sent off for two bookings.

Not having seen it I can’t judge today’s fouls, but the kid has to stop getting stupid and pointless yellow cards.

22. Luis says:

Since C. Dempsey signed a new contract it doesn’t necessarily mean that he has to stay with fulham. He can still leave if a club pays the transfer fee.

23. John says:

kpugs – Good call on Bradley playing a bit overly aggressive. He is especially prone to picking up the stupid cards in the bigger games; it’s something we will have to watch for this summer during the WC qualifiers.

24. John says:

25. Victor says:

Is the field going to be replaced with grass for the international friendly? I can’t imagine world class players playing on field turf

26. Tom says:

As a Pompey fan, I predict that Dempsey and the cottagers will be in the Premiership next year thanks to another hapless performance from the boys in blue.

27. fieldsy says:

does anyone know the specifics of the contract? how much is dempsey making a year?

28. Big D says:

The field will be replaced with grass – Argentina would never have agreed to place us on field turf.

Ives, any idea what the sales projection is? Any chance of getting anywhere near a sellout? Should be a nice bump the week prior when Argentina announces their travelling roster for the game.

29. Brant says:

Anyone actually check out the Tiffany May, uh, ‘spread’? Just wondering if it was worth the dollars… :)

30. Hugh H. says:

More Tiffany May:

(Over 18 – NSFW!!!)

link to buck1690.com

31. sonic death monkey says:

40k is disappointing. I don’t think this game will break 50k.

Barry, I received my tix about 2 weeks ago.

32. kpugs says:

Believe me, I’m the first to admit I’m no Brad Pitt. Far less. But talk about a butterface…jesus.