BMO Field: An experience to remember

Reynatfc_isi_photos

The best thing I can tell you about BMO Field in Toronto is that if you are an MLS fan you need to go there ASAP.

Go grab an MLS schedule, find out when your team is playing, book a flight (or fill your gas tank) and head north. It is an experience to remember and one that is deservedly the envy of the rest of the league.

The Toronto fans were great, whether hours before the game at the local soccer pubs, or during the game, when they spend all 90 minutes singing and jumping around.

Here are some of the highlights for me:

Seeing stadium security toss pass unrolled streamers to the crowd was amazing. Imagine seeing that at Giants Stadium. Not only would that not happen, if you tossed a streamer at a player at Giants Stadium you would get tackled by two state troopers as a state police dog mauled your leg.

The streamers are not that big an issue. I know some folks have a problem with the streamers being thrown on corner kicks, but they are harmless and the players being targeted didn’t have much of a problem with it. As long as it’s just the crepe paper streamers, and nothing sinister like coins or batteries, I don’t see the issue.

Here was Claudio Reyna’s take on the streamers:

"In Central America, with the U.S. teams, we’d get stuff thrown at us, but not as bad as that,” Reyna said. “(They have some) good aim. They were wrapping it around my ankles and I really had to stop. It was in the way, but it’s good. That’s great and they’ve really been a breath of fresh air in this league with the atmosphere they create."

Hearing the different sections go back and forth. The benefit of having a stadium filled with season-ticket holders is that all these people know each other, so when one section can finish the chant another section starts it’s pretty damn impressive.

Hearing TFC fans chant Marco Velez’s name in full voice. Imagine being Velez, who was in the USL a year ago, now being cheered on loudly by a packed stadium? He is loving life right now.

Maybe it’s just me, but I had never seen beer given out with lids on them. What a great idea this is. Who hasn’t been walking with some beers only to lose half a beer after being run into by some overzealous kid? TFC fans don’t have this problem because they get draft beers with plastic lids on the cups. Okay, so it does kind of look like a sippy cup, but at least they get to drink all their beer.

TFC dropped the ball in not establishing a visiting supporter’s section. Now I know this isn’t an issue for 80 percent of the games they’ll have, but BMO Field really needs to have a section that can be dedicated to visiting fans, even if we’re talking just 20. And no, there were no Red Bulls fans in attendance (Which made the Toronto fans chanting, "Can you hear the Red Bulls sing" all the more ridiculous.)

The location of BMO Field to Toronto’s downtown is priceless. This is all the more reason for visiting fans to make a trip to a Toronto game.

Thanks to the members of the Red Patch Boys who helped me out and got me a spot in the second row to watch the first half.  I was about eight seats from the infamous (U-Sector created) Claudio Reyna poster (and am actually in the above picture) and probably could have hit Reyna in the head with a streamer if I wanted to (and no, I didn’t throw any streamers).

The songs the TFC fans sang were great, but I did feel a bit heated when I heard an anti-Jersey chant. Hey, I’m from Jersey, it’s natural. I couldn’t be that upset really, not after some U-Sectors a section away started an impromptu chant about me early in the game (thankfully it wasn’t ‘Who Are Ya’)

I got to meet Morgan Campbell from the Toronto Star. A great guy who, like me, played American football rather than futbol. He’s got me trumped on the credentials though. Campbell was a walk-on at Northwestern and earned a Rose Bowl ring in the process. I played in the Pride Bowl between Ramapo and Montclair State. Not quite the same thing, I know.

And in what might be a complete shock to some, I spoke to Amado Guevara after the game. Guevara was all smiles and gave me a hug and a handshake. I wasn’t going to avoid him and went to speak to him and he really surprised me with that greeting. Needless to say I was happy to see that any past drama was water under the bridge (maybe he read my stories saying that Toronto FC was smart for picking him up. Okay, I’m kidding).

That’s all for now. I plan on writing a more detailed account of my experience in Toronto for Monday so look out for that. Also, I wrote a piece on the fans in Toronto for ESPN.com that should post later today.

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer, MLS- Toronto FC. Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to BMO Field: An experience to remember

1. Dominghosa says:

It looks like your sucking on that girls’ thumb in front of you.

2. SoccerMan says:

I’m glad you had a great time in Toronto, Ives! Come back anytime!

3. Dominghosa says:

Awesome, btw.

4. Scott says:

The Toronto fans are undoubtedly great, but how about the DC fans being considered for the ‘Best Fans in the MLS’ title. Despite the fact I have not been to a DC no Toronto home game, the fact that DC fans have to make noise in a much bigger stadium, and succeed is impressive. Both teams average about the same attendance I believe. DC wins on the flags front, but Toronto definitely has the best signs (despite the fact that the Claudio sign is horribly incorrect I loved it). This race seems pretty close to me… from a few thousand miles away.

5. $in says:

When I saw that poster of Reyna on ESPN, I was in shock. Kudos to the Red Patch Boys for putting that one together.

As a Fire fan, I went with a bunch of other fans to TFC’s home opener. That place is rockin’!!

6. Matt says:

Claudio sign incorrect? Dunno about that. I notice he limped off again at HT. What else is new?

7. Alex says:

Thank you Ives!!

I think what most people don’t understand, is the electricity in the air at BMO Field. That is something that is very hard to convey through writing. Everyone should experience it first hand! Glad you had a great time, and don’t forget, it was COLD! and RAINING! on Thursday night and we still had 19,000 People!!

8. Matt says:

Can MLS please try to schedule a TOR-NY game on a day other than Thursday next season? Then maybe you’d have a few Red Bulls fans show up. That’s two seasons running that the game has been mid-week.

9. Gabe says:

man, i really want to go now… It’s kind of a far trip from So Cal though.

10. A.S. says:

I can’t stand the streamers – completely offensive and a total travesty to the game.

And, BTW, the idea that they don’t interfere with the players is ludicrous, and even the quote from Reyna attests (“They were wrapping it around my ankles and I really had to stop.”).

Fans should NOT be interfering with the game on the field in ANY way.

And the idea that security – sorry, “security” – would ASSIST with interfering with the game on the field is even worse.

11. Scott C says:

As a non TFC fan that’s been to BMO field, I have to agree. The atmosphere is fantastic. It’s a great place to see a game, great for the fans, great for the players, and great for the league. I think the players respond to it; last nights game wasn’t always pretty, but it was definitely intense, with a lot of hard challenges…never a boring game at BMO…

12. danj says:

Just because Reyna takes the high road on the streamer issue doesn’t make it okay. What are the players supposed to say? It gets in my head? I’m playing in protest? Wrapping around a players ankles and making him stop on a corner is a major impediment to the game. Was it Van den Bergh who settled for a short corner in the closing minutes because he was getting pelted? It’s up to the league and security to put a stop to this interference. (I’m not a Red Bulls or TFC fan, if that matters.)

13. emilio says:

The streemers need to go, that doesnt add to the atmosphere at the game, if anything it distracts from it. I dont see any european soccer leagues where streemers are thrown at players and its accepted. thats just ridiculous, yes its great that they have so many fans, id love that, but you cant let them do whatever they want. 50% of those fans are just there to get drunk.

14. James17930 says:

Hey A.S. — talk about selective quoting. Did you even read THE VERY NEXT THING THAT REYNA SAID?:

“It was in the way, but it’s good. That’s great and they’ve really been a breath of fresh air in this league with the atmosphere they create.”

Go back to bed.

15. Joamiq says:

Haha, it’s kind of funny that Ives stands out in that picture because he’s not wearing red.

BMO sounds great, but I do think the streamers are going a bit too far. I mean I have no problem with streamers in general, and the spirit is great. But the sheer volume of streamers during corner kicks DOES interfere with the kick taker, and that shouldn’t happen. I think streamers should be allowed at all times except when they’re thrown at players during corners or free kicks. I did, however, find it very amusing when VDB ran around for about a minute without realizing he had a long streamer wrapped around his midsection, trailing after him.

Also, the Reyna poster was impressive. Obviously I’m a fan of his and the Red Bulls, but still have to give the fans props for that.

16. BK says:

Were you wearing a Red Bulls kit?

17. Matt says:

The thing about the streamers is that I don’t see the difference between chucking a streamer at someone when he’s taking a corner and doing the same during a free kick. They are both dead ball situations that require a certain level of concentration. Verbal abuse? Fine. Noise? Knock yourself out.

Would throwing a streamer across the 18-yard box during a penalty kick be OK? Where do you draw the line?

18. emilio says:

great point Matt, or how about throwing a streamer at the goalie while he is trying to make a save.

19. walter says:

Streamers are for little girls…and Canadians apparently!

20. I torn about Toronto. On one hand, I want to give them full credit, because it’s amazing.

On the other hand, I can say I have had amazing experiences at old Soldier Field and RFK. I have had, yes, “electric” experiences on special nights that equal the atmosphere I’ve seen elsewhere.

What’s unique about Toronto isn’t that their fans bring it– it’s that the electricity isn’t reserved for “special” nights. It seems to be consistent, even on a cold Thursday night game against MLS opposition.

21. Alex says:

Emilio and Matt,

I invite you guys to come to BMO Field and revel in the electric atmosphere that is created there. I’m sure you guys would love it when you get to experience it first hand. Plus, lets not forget that if every other stadium in MLS was packed like BMO Field, then MLS would be in a much better financial position. Everyone should take a page out of BMO Field and use it.

22. Mark says:

Awesome, Ives!

Btw, what was the chant they sung about you, hehe?

23. kco says:

Now all BMO Field needs is some more seats.

24. satan says:

so walter, you’re calling Ives a little girl? ;)

25. Nick says:

Ives, I know this is still early times for Toronto, but have you heard anything about MLSE putting on additions to BMO? They have 16,000 season ticket holders in a 19,000 seat stadium. I feel like if they made the stadium fit 25,000 they would still sell out every game, they also appear to have a good amount of space for renovations as well. Just wondering if you had heard anything, thanks.

26. locolos says:

Great reporting Ives!!!

you rock!

‘los

27. Matt says:

Alex, I’d love to come up there for a game. Just get the suits at MLS to make it a weekend game and I’m there. Thursday is a no-go.

28. BFBS says:

Ives,

I understand there was a streaker during the game. Was that you?

29. seven says:

I’m a Toronto season ticket holder in the Supporter’s section & I’m not really a fan of the streamers either. They make a great visual in the air, but I hope eventually people get bored with throwing them at corner kicks.

In last night’s game it wasn’t just streamers being thrown either. Bananas & bottles were thrown into the penalty area in the 2nd half.

30. Pawel says:

The chant for Ives was

“Ives in fukcing TO

Ives in fukcing TO

Na na na na

Na na na na”

31. bgnewf says:

Thanks for coming ives. You are a gentleman and welcome anytime. Just a slight correction. U-Sector (and not the Red patch Boys) were responsible for the classic Reyna sign. Credit where credit is due.

32. YankeeDoodle says:

Fine then, let’s all light up flares and toss scooters from the top level.

Seriously though, streemers are a big part of the game in Latin and South AMERICA, you know, AMERICA the PLACE WE LIVE AND ARE CLOSE TO.

Eurosnobs can bite it. You should spend more time at MLS games than watching Euro-football anyway.

33. Dannyc58 says:

Streamers are a joke.

34. Yang says:

Hey Ives, I’m a relatively new reader to the blog…so what’s the drama between you and Amado?

35. GaryJamboTFC says:

Hey the Reyna Has-been sign was a product of USector (section 113) not the Red Patch Boys. Props to USec member AgainstSteve (the genius behind the LandyCakes waterfountain poster last year) for making and bringing it.

And you sad folks who are whining about the streamers? Get over yourselves. This league needs more atmosphere, not less. Look after generating more noise and fun at your own stadiums before moaning about ours.

36. Dan says:

Being a Villanova grad (1981) who saw plenty of Big 5 basketball games at the fabled Palestra, I can tell you a thing or two about the important history and role of streamers in our country. The Palestra is a 10,000 seat basketball arena that was often filled to the brim with nothing but supporter sections (i.e. students) and the noise level was beyond belief. When your team scored its opening basket, the students went ballistic and threw streamers out onto the court to celebrate, and it just added to the bedlam. Regrettably, the Big 5 has stopped this wonderful tradition, probably because we have too many lawyers now who can think of liability exposure in every walk of life, but I for one am hoping that the Philadelpha entry into the MLS re-introduces the Philadelphia tradition of throwing streamers. I don’t care what the Euro-soccer-snobs think is appropriate; streamers are a Philly tradition.

37. Steve says:

YankeeDoodle – You know your argument is flawed. Show me the South American footage where they’re using streamers as TFC is?

Besides, the ‘they do it worse than us’ argument may have worked with your mom grwoing up but it won’t fly here.

They need to go.

38. Matt says:

What do streamers have to do with Euro-snobbishness? It’s a matter of interfering with play on the field, not trying to keep a lid on atmosphere.

39. Hugo G says:

Attention all MLS fans!!! Grab some of your non-soccer fans and drag their asses to see your local MLS team play. All these 20 thousand or less capacity stadiums should be selling out every game.

40. Russ says:

i always see so many people w/ beers at BMO…i have to wonder what the prices are like (in US dollars)? Is it safe to assume it’s less than the $8 at my Crew stadium?

41. Mark says:

@Yang: Amado had some beef with Ives’ reports about him at the start of 2007, when Guevara was traded to Chivas and played badly. After an Honduras international in summer 2007, he refused to talk to the media unless Ives left the room! Glad to see things have been patched up, maybe it shows how much Guevara’s attitude has changed.

42. emilio says:

Euro snob? I attend games, and streamers do interfere with the game so they shouldnt be allowed.

43. Greg says:

“50% of those fans are just there to get drunk”

No. 75% of those fans are season ticket holders and die hard supporters. The other 25% aren’t giving scalpers $100 for a $20 ticket because they need a place to get drunk.

44. Emilio says:

Its great that TFC games are a huge event, the league needs that, the support is great and they should be commended for it. However when it starts interfering with the product on the field, its a problem.

45. fieldsy says:

ives,

i’d love to go to a game in toronto or even d.c., but i encourage mls fans to come to south america to watch futbol there. i went to a copa libertaodores game on tuesday and there were 45,000 screaming fans at the game. when you have to put up barricaded walls around the stadium, then you know the game is serious. at the game, they shot out smoke from fire extinguishers, burned torches, lit flairs and sang the entire game.

in regards to the streamers, they were only thrown when a bad call was perceived to have been made by the ref or at the opposing goal keeper (but not when he was playing). no streamers were thrown during corner kicks, in fact (in my experience), i have never seen streamers thrown during corner kicks. it’s lame.

however, great job to the fans at toronto for the atmosphere!

46. bgnewf says:

Hey YankeeDoodle…Talk trash when AND ONLY WHEN you know what you are talking about.

Believe me there are many places much cheaper to get drunk in Toronto than BMO field. 11 Dollar beer is not the reason why we are there. We are there because we love our team.

47. Mel says:

“And you sad folks who are whining about the streamers? Get over yourselves. This league needs more atmosphere, not less. Look after generating more noise and fun at your own stadiums before moaning about ours”. (GaryJamboTFC)

BINGO!

48. kebzach says:

The United Center in Chicago is another venue that gives you lids for your beers. I agree, it’s a great move.

49. Reid says:

Its not just americans making fun of jersey anymore, it has spread to canada

50. Jerry says:

Ives –

Im a fairly new reader and big fan of Amado Guevara from the Honduras NT can you please explain the “beef” with him back then? Hes got a history of being very rude in the Honduran National league with referees so as a Honduran myself I can only imagine what he might have said to you, care to elaborate?

51. DC Cavalier says:

I would take issue about the tossing of streamers as harmless.

Steamers may be harmless now, but just like at some US sports stadiums, what at one time might be harmless, is the next times, battery or rock dressed like a streamer.

There shouldn’t be any room for fans, regardless of how innocent it may seem, to throw things on the field.

52. Binks says:

Very disappointed.

Very.

The guy that says that he lives 10 mins away from Giants Stadium to me at Summer’s the day before the MLS Cup has the audacity to say I need to go to Toronto to experience supporters when he’s not once hung out in 16A before a game or spent the equivalent time in section 101 since the rebranding of the New York (New Jersey) franchise?

We bring the noise. They bring the nonsense.

53. nickmustgo says:

Fans should NOT be interfering with the game on the field in ANY way.

Posted by: A.S. | May 02, 2008 at 12:33 PM

So what number is on your jacket for the NJSEA?

54. Ives says:

Come on Binks, I have both been in 101 and at the pre-game tailgate in the past year (though not this season yet, I did visit some tailgaits before the New England game, you can ask KPugs). My comments weren’t a knock on other supporter’s groups. ESC, Section 8, La Barra Brava (and all the good supporter’s sections in MLS) are all great. My point about TFC is that it’s a full stadium of that, which is something that merits some praise and is something that needs to be experienced.

As for the streamers, I’m not saying I love them, I guess my opinion on it was solidified after talking to players who have no problem with it. I can understand the concerns about it and if MLS steps in and bans the practice I will understand, but right now I don’t see it being that big an issue.

55. jeff says:

The streamers are harmless. No one has missed a corner because of the streamers and no one has ever been hurt, either. Though, should an MLS team ever try to bring Louis Saha into BMO field there might be a cause for concern.

56. OZZIE says:

Some other quotes from Claudio Reyna after the TFC match:

“We too play in front of a sea of red at Giants Stadium, though it was a little different tonight for some reason.”

“Playing in front of living people is awesome.”

“The Red Patch Boys are loud – but you haven’t experienced MLS excitement until playing in front of the North Bergen U-8 Girls team – they can really whoop it up.”

“In America the fans keep it to one standard chant – so not to confuse the masses that being – USA – USA – USA.”

“The fans up here actually pay for their seats – they even have real life scalpers around the ground charging 3 or 4 times the value of the ticket – simply incredible.”

57. inkedAG says:

They’re imbeciles, plain and simple

58. TheDreamTeam says:

Lighten up everyone. What matters most is people are enjoying the game, their team and MLS. We need more of this in the league and hopefully RB can get a similar atmosphere with the new stadium.

59. lassidawg says:

Sounds and looks like a great atmosphere, and hopefully something we can replicate here in Seattle, a year away and closing in on 15K for season tickets. Throwing anything during play is a bad idea, I can see throwing them after a goal. Throw in the beer and some dummy will throw something that could hurt someone. I am gussing that banning streamers wouldn’t destroy that atmosphere that has been created.

60. MDR says:

[quote]Apparently you didn’t read the 14 plus pages on the Red Patch Boys message board where all they could say was “The Red Bulls are Shite. The Red Bulls are Shite. The Red Bulls are Shite. The Red Bulls are Shite.”

They’re imbeciles, plain and simple

Posted by: inkedAG | May 02, 2008 at 02:47 PM[/quote]

Don’t hate on us just because we pay more attention to your team than your entire city/state does.

Be happy that we acknowledge your tiny club, because apparently you can barely manage 13000 to do the same.

61. zac says:

Nice that you came out to Toronto Ives,

Keep up the good work.

62. Dan says:

My apologies for suggesting that anyone on this blog is a euro-snob, but it does sound like whining to complain about the dangers of streamers or say that they would materially interfere with the game. It’s a great atomsphere-booster and I think all MLS teams should incorporate it into the opening minutes of their games.

63. Yang says:

To Jerry: if you read a few posts up, Mark posted a response that answers your question – I asked too.

64. WHOAnesto says:

No one in their right mind should be envious of fans who chant “This is our house!” in their own stadium. Idiots.

65. Seisco says:

I live in Rochester and I would LOVE to see a TFC game at BMO but their website says all the single game tickets through Ticketmaster for the ENTIRE season are sold out. Any advice on how to get a few tickets?

66. satan says:

Seisco — check the redpatchboys.ca message board. there’s a specific ticket section (no scalping) where people who can’t make it have seats for sale. if you have $$$ to throw around the typical ticket reseller sites always have tickets available. As well, if you can befriend a season ticket holder, they have access to a private ticket selling site through ticketmaster. they could buy you a seat and email you the tickets.

67. liverbull says:

I just missed the Q&A by seconds but Im a long time reader first time writer and I love your site. Can you please answer these questions for me?

2 questions

-Now that we just had the last CONCACF Champions cup, I understand that the format will be different next year. Will the format be more along the lines on the Champions league or the UEFA cup?

-Will ESPN ever have a soccer show? All I want is one measly hour of pure soccer talk and highlights. I watch ESPN deportes but all they ever talk about is the friggen Mexican league and I could care less. The Fox soccer report is my only window to the beautiful game but it still feels foreign to me. I don’t know if it’s the fuzzy hand held camcorder they use to record the show or the cornball commentators with Canadian accents that turn me off. Sometimes I watch it with the volume off because they annoy me so much, but I love the game. I feel that a big reason why the footy stagnates in the USA is because there is simply NO coverage. More Americans will accept soccer as a major sport if Americans in the US are covering it. Do you agree that Americans get turned off or are not receptive to foreign commentators?

68. David Berger says:

Great read!

69. Oh the rbas says:

“No disrespect to those American grounds, but it’s a family-day-out thing, here we’re playing in front of real football fans.”

Danny Dichio

Toronto Star- April 20th.

70. Draracle says:

Too bad this has been degenerated into a flame fest about who has great fans. Toront is a great place to watch footy, always has been. Just now we have a home team! I think DC has an intense supporters section, Chicago too… everyone should strive to sellout and create atmosphere — vs. fighting over who is better.

and beers are $12.75 for a large — dollars are close to equal right now. So all those beers are big’ol’dollar signes to the MLSE.

71. AD says:

As a TFC season ticket holder, I don’t mind stating that I too don’t like seeing the streamers interfere with the restart from the corner, however, as long as MLS and the other clubs continue to use footage of it in promoting the MLS, we all bettter get used to it.

Also, just as a matter of interest, I’m also on TFC’s waiting list with 7,000+ fans seeking season tickets. My request is for another 4 tickets. And like many season ticket holders, I don’t scalp mine. Recently a senior TFC executive said the demand for season tickets from that waiting list is currently in excess of 14,000 tickets.

72. Thanks for the shout out, Ives!

Now I’m just waiting for the add to your blogroll…

Go Cats!

73. fieldsy says:

Question for the tfc fans. is there a lot more interest in the tfc team than the canadian national team?

this summer, i watched the U-20 world cup. i saw canada’s games (very poor showing) and there was a great crowd in toronto (although it seemed that half the fans were rooting for chile), there were almost no fans in edmonton watching the games. i also remember reading about canada’s national team playing a friendly against a small country from the caribbean (i think the game was last year) and only 300 fans attending the game. does it have more to do with where the game is played in canada or is there just a lot lest interest in the national team?

by the way, keep up the great work with your crowds in toronto!

74. peteo says:

once again, reps to the TFC fans. streamers are good for the atmosphere, but there should be a balance of not tossing them at players taking corners or free-kicks. pretty much any other time, i’d say go for it.

75. martha says:

Impressive,

Just like a Red Bulls home game…..only with people and without the sea of empty seats.

76. JDG says:

For those of you who are commenting on the streamers, I’d like to point out that the various players and coaches who have visited BMO field, have had 18 games to date, to make a case against them.

We have been told by our front office, that the league is monitoring the situation VERY closely, but we have yet to hear a single player or coach speak out against them.

When the press has approached the victims of streamer showers, looking for a reaction, the players have always surprised me by singing our praises.

When I hear that we’re having an effect that goes beyond entertainment, and that we’re being credited with impeding the flow of the game by the players, I’ll happily give it a rest.

77. alex says:

fyi, the beer is not cheap.

Although TFC has had success in this manner, I’m sure others aren’t far behind.

Things are looking up for the league in general and that’s good for all of us.

78. ct says:

can we borrow that sign for all our home games?