Liverpool at Chelsea: Your Running Commentary

Liverpool_logo Chelsealogo

The Champions League semifinals kick off today with Chelsea facing Liverpool at Stamford Bridge in the second leg of their home-and-home series. The first leg finished 1-1 courtesy of John Arne Riise’s amazingly awful own goal, which means Liverpool must win today or tie 2-2 or greater to advance while Chelsea can reach the Champions League final with a victory or 0-0 tie.

If you will be following the match and will be online, please feel free to follow the match here. Share your thoughts, opinions and some play by play in the comments section below

Enjoy the match.

This entry was posted in European Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Liverpool at Chelsea: Your Running Commentary

1. Steve says:

Here we go haha, go Liverpool! A loss here would make it impossible for Kuyt and Crouch to get girls this weekend

2. Steve says:

Whew close call, nearly a goal for Chelsea

3. Steve says:

Not to dominate this board early but props by the way Ives, theres no way I’d put the effort into putting up the running commentary were I in your shoes, I’d just be posted up with my beer in whatever bar you chose and say screw the mafia hahaha

4. eric says:

Pretty good Liverpool line up today, but I wouldn’t have been surprised if they started Pennent, he’s been playing well. Actually, my favorite rotation Rafa’s used in a while was the game where they played Kuyt and Gerrard on opposite wings where they switched sides a lot. Very cool.

Chelsea: Cech, Essien, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Ballack, Makelele, Lampard, Kalou, Drogba. Subs: Cudicini, Shevchenko, Obi, Malouda, Alex, Belletti, Anelka

Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Riise, Kuyt, Alonso, Mascherano, Benayoun, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Itandje, Finnan, Hyypia, Crouch, Pennant, Babel, Lucas.

As I type, Hyypia on for the injured Skrtel in the 23rd

5. Steve says:

Hyypia out early… balls

6. Steve says:

err yeah, backwards what i said, i’m drinking at 3 in the afternoon my bad

7. Dominghosa says:

good ball movement from both teams early on.

8. eric says:

Liverpool force a corner with some dangerous play, Kuyt let a cross run into the box, and Gerrard wasn’t too far. Crappy corner, as it’s English football, and it’s over the bar on a non-dangerous header.

9. dan says:

in the “all-english” final, how many brits will actually start for the two teams?

10. Dominghosa says:

Drgoba on the rebound! GOAL!

11. eric says:

Goal Chelsea! Drogba 33rd.

12. DCM says:

Drogba gets his revenge!! Now will it hold??

13. Dominghosa says:

I didn’t think Drogba would be able to put the ball in such a tight window on such a tight angle.

14. Steve says:

Nuts… come on Reds

15. eric says:

Kalou was sprung free charging on goal, he hits a screamer parried away by Reina. Drogba collects it on the edge of the box, takes a touch, and hits a great low shot on the near post, he put it in the only place Reina couldn’t reach.

Should help with his recent criticism.

16. eric says:

Dan – that’s exactly why I get so confused when people talk of being sick of “British” teams. They’re just better right now of buying the best players in the world, and they speak more English.

Other quick thoughts on the game – biggest upset of the day, Joe Cole’s shorts nearly reach knees. His pastey thighs where too much for me during Chelski games, even if he is their most consistent threat.

Also, is it just me, or would Kuyt make a great outside back (since Benitez doesn’t tinker enough)?

Chelsea still with better pressure, 40th min.

17. puffyjrkfan says:

Historically this game has been dire, but this one has actually had some life in it. Thank god for those goals in the first match.

Drogba is so damn infuriating. When he decides to give a poo, he is one of the best forwards on Earth. But he’s such a damn jerk, I have a hard time rooting for him. It was a nice goal though…

Riise has been brutal so far today.

18. Spencer says:

People were afraid of Liverpools left side, but its been the right side that is getting trashed.

19. Homey Boehme says:

@eric – It was funny to hear someone say “my favorite rotation Rafa’s used in a while.” I can’t stand Rafa’s rotation system, but then, I haven’t coached any teams to Champions League glory.

I am personally rooting against Liverpool for two reasons: 1.) To prove to “the Special One” (Moron-ho er, Mourinho) that he is not that special and 2.) Because I want Chelsea to win two titles at the expense of ManUtd (see point one again).

20. John says:

Risse is always brutal… he’s been living off credit from 3 years ago for a while now — and now he lacks confidence.

21. eric says:

HB – I can’t believe Benitez used 99 straight different line ups, and he only repeated on the 100th because the press was giving him crap for it.

Anyways, it was the 2nd CL match vs. Arsenal, I loved that midfield. Which is what drives me nuts, he’ll tinker and tinker, but not even start when he stumbles on a great lineup, he changes whether it works or not.

Liverpool should find a way to keep him as their CL Manager, and hire another to handle the EPL. Kind of a “War Chief/Peace Chief” sorta thing.

Ooh, Ballack gets a shot off. Chelsea still looks like they are in charge.

22. puffyjrkfan says:

They’re showing the OG again! I wonder if his family is in hiding…

23. puffyjrkfan says:

Liverpool haven’t really looked like a threat to score a goal yet in this game, and they are running out of time…I’ve always been a believer in Rafa, but he needs to pull something out of the hat here.

24. Dominghosa says:

Goal! Liverpool! that’s what this team and this match needed.

25. puffyjrkfan says:

And I stand corrected, once again!

26. eric says:

There it is!!! Goal Torres, 1-1 65th!!!

27. DCM says:

TEVEZZZZZZZZZZ after a wonderful run up the middle by Benayoun

28. puffyjrkfan says:

If it goes to Penalties, would ANYONE wager against Liverpool?

I am salivating at the thought of Manchester United v. Liverpool in Moscow…

29. eric says:

I was holding my breath waiting for a late flag, I thought he might have been offsides when it happened.

30. Casey (24) says:

How exactly could it go to penalties?

31. doug says:

El Nino has become El Hombre. Truly a game changer Torres is. I questioned Benayoun’s inclusion at the start but Babel couldnt have done what Benayoun did to set up that goal

32. 2-2 aggregate and both have away goals so if they are deadlocked after over time then penlas…

DCM you meant TORREEEEEEEEEES… TEVEZ is with Man U! :)

33. Dominghosa says:

Is “Tevez” spanish for “Torres” or something?

34. Casey C. says:

Doh, for some reason I thought it was 0-0, I’m dumb.

35. doug says:

Casey 1-1 AET is penalties

36. DCM says:

Thanks Music, I actually laughed out loud at my ridiculous mistake. So much for getting anything done correctly when multi-tasking.

37. Dominghosa says:

Oh wait, I should have wrote..

“Tevez” must be American for “Torres.”

38. eric says:

Benitez is so suave when he rocks the windbreaker and tie.

39. DCM says:

What a run by Essien

40. eric says:

What a run by Essien from the RB position.

I swear, Fergueson is trying to copy Chelsea toying with this Hargraves at RB crap, but it’s not nearly as good.

41. doug says:

smart sub by Benitez. Benayoun did what he was supposed to, now to a more traditional winger. Although I wouldve preferred Babel

42. eric says:

Pennant on for Benayoun, who made the chance for Torres. Pennant has been in really good form, so I like this substitution now more than I did a month ago.

43. puffyjrkfan says:

Lol @ Eric’s windbreaker commment.

Personally, I don’t mind Hargraves at RB. Do you really want John O’Shea starting ahead of him? Or ahead of Wes Brown at CB? O’Shea is a solid utility player, but I’m a firm believer you need to have your best players on the pitch for the biggest games. And with Vidic hurt, it was the logical move. Owen may not be a natural RB, but he’s solid defensively, and he can pass the ball.

44. eric says:

Thanks – I was thrilled we got another shot of Rafa right after I posted!

45. eric says:

Turns out, it WAS a formal windbreaker, you can see it has tails

46. puffyjrkfan says:

Clear handball! How did the ref miss it!? He was 3 yards away?!

47. Dominghosa says:

not over yet, if liverpool ties it at 2, they advance.

48. Dominghosa says:

ah, goal disallowed.

49. Dominghosa says:

oops. penalty, chelsea will surely go up 2-1 now.

50. eric says:

Penalty! Hypiia hacks down Ballack

51. eric says:

Lampard drills it bottom corner, Reina goes the other way. Liverpool need to score.

52. eric says:

Liverpool storm back , and Essien makes a great tackle in the box. Corner

53. puffyjrkfan says:

I don’t think Liverpool has enough to come back again…especially having to rely on Dirk Kuyt of all people.

54. bgnewf says:

Hate Chelsea but I am glad for Lampard. Losing a family member is tough and it was great to see him score and kiss the black armband for his Mom.

55. puffyjrkfan says:

Game, Set, Match. Well done Chelsea, but they may have stiffer opposition in Moscow….

56. DCM says:

Game, set & match … a wonderful sequence leading up to Drogba’s 2nd goal.

57. John says:

Much like the LA Cops and OJ – Sami Hyypia just framed a guilty man with that dive…

…too bad, it actually was a penalty (and terrible over acting after the hack).

58. DCM says:

Interesting no call on a possible foul by Drogba in Chelsea’s own box… could have been a most interesting final 10′ if Livepool would have converted the possible PK.

59. eric says:

Bah. Grant is such a hack, if Chelsea is going to win, they might as well have let Mourinho have the same free choice of players.

GOal!!! 3-2

60. DCM says:

Babellll, what a ridiculous goal from over 30/35 yards out

61. puffyjrkfan says:

Cech should have saved that one, plain and simple. From that distance, that’s a soft goal.

62. eric says:

119th minute – Shevchenko on for Lampard

63. John says:

Unfortunately, this all turned when Aurelio got hurt… not only the own-goal, but Riise was ball watching on two goals tonight.

64. eric says:

That’s it. 3-2 Chelski, 4-3 on aggregate. Remind me – which Semifinals series was supposed to be the 7 goal thriller?

65. DCM says:

Final – Cheslea moves on to Moscow

66. DCM says:

Agreed eric

Who would have guessed that these two would produce such a thriller?

67. Homey Boehme says:

Bedlam in the boardroom for Liverpool!!! Chelsea are through!!!

68. Dominghosa says:

That Babel goal was unbelievable.

69. eric says:

Drogba was the hero in the face of a lot of recent criticism, and Ballack continued his strong run of play. I’m curious about the return of Shevchenko vs Man U over the weekend and again today. Are Roman’s demands creeping back in, or does Grant value him as some sort of a defensive forward (keeps possession, made the huge goal line clearance against Man U).

I hate to say it, but Chelsea deserved it, they generally controlled play. Liverpool wasn’t dangerous for long stretches, although they turned it on late with their subs, and got some great goals from Babel and Torres.

Both matches were pretty dull early, but had classic endings, overall it was well worth it. Rafa Benitez is my Man o’ Match, I want to wear a hoodie with tie on the job.

70. puffyjrkfan says:

I agree with Eric’s overall assesment, both of the match and Rafa’s outfits…

On a slightly different note, Chelsea should be embarrased about the way Grant dresses…most top class managers (Rafa, Sir Alex, Jose, Don Fabio, even Ronald Koeman) wear a suit and generally look “managerial”. Grant dresses like I do on days I don’t have class till 2pm. Some of the fans dress up better than he does.

71. eric says:

Actually, Grant is my Man o’ Match for not vomiting on the pitch during his victory collapse.

I wish I could watch his post game comments, the Everton press conference 3 weeks ago was amazing: link to republikofmanc.proboards92.com

72. Spencer says:

Well I think the ref butchered it. He called the Ballack penalty but ignored the Hyppia one. Those were both as well deserved. The first Chelsea goal was slightly offsides, but I can’t blame the ref I had to view it multiple times to see it. And whoever criticized Riise get off of it. He didn’t let the goals go in. He did all he could on Drogbas first one. And the second one was the whole defense wanting the call and not playing.

73. Savariesy Maldy says:

all im saying is that the red bulls shouldve been in the uefa champions league thats all im sayin