MLS Awards Predictions

Luciano_emilio_the_associated_press

We are 24 hours away from the start of the MLS season so it is time to have one last thought about how the 2008 season is going to play out.

Earlier today I asked people to give their pre-season rankings of the league’s 14 teams. Now it is time to consider what players will walk away with awards when the 2008 season is over.

Who do you think will be the league’s MVP? Golden Boot winner? Rookie of the Year? Defender of the Year? Goalkeeper of the Year? Coach of the Year?

My picks are after the jump. Check them out and share your own predictions below.

MLS MVP

Cuauhtemoc Blanco. The Chicago Fire playmaker will have a full season to show off his magical passing skills and has two forwards in Andy Herron and Tomasz Frankowski who can finish off his passes. Finalists- Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Juan Pablo Angel.

Rookie of the Year

Chance Myers Julius James. Apologies to KC fans but I had to go with my long-time pick for rookie of the year, Julius James, over Chance Myers, who I originally listed. I was under the impressing that James’ shoulder injury was more serious than it was. With him due back in a week, I think he’ll wind up winning this award. The kid is MLS ready and will help provide an instant upgrade to a Toronto defense that sorely needed it. I do like Chance Myers a lot, and think he could be the best long-term prospect of the bunch, but James is going to really impress some people. Finalists- Sean Franklin, Chance Myers

Defender of the Year

Michael Parkhurst. The Revs center back will win this award again, but should get stiff competition from a few quality candidates. Finalists- Jimmy Conrad, Gonzalo Martinez

Goalkeeper of the Year

Joe Cannon. Out of Los Angeles and back with Frank Yallop, Cannon will show fans the form that helped him win this award before (The award would be Brad Guzan’s if I thought he were staying the full year. Finalists- Bouna Coundoul, Kevin Hartman.

Coach of the Year

Curt Onalfo. I see big things for the Wizards in 2008 and Onalfo will receive his share of credit for making it happen. Finalists- Tom Soehn, Juan Carlos Osorio.

Now it’s your turn. Who do you see walking away with these awards? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to MLS Awards Predictions

1. john says:

While the San Jose defence is good for an exspansion team I’m not sure if it is good enough to help cannon win the award and all the finalists for keeper of the year had halfway descent defences

2. j1m says:

Golden Boot – Juan Pablo Angel

3. j1 says:

I think if beckham can stay healthy he could be a MVP candidate and considering the last two MVP winners were from D.C gallardo might be a possibility. I don’t know if lapira has officially signed with toronto but if he is motivated to play in the U.S he could be an important part of their offence.

4. Garrett says:

I think you’ll be suprised on how many shutouts Joe Cannon will get with the ‘Quakes getting 0-0 draws all season long.

5. Juke Box Hero says:

MVP – I agree Blanco will get it while leading Chi-town to the top of the East.

Rookie – Ely Allen. Will get ample opportunity filling out the numbers alongside the big three in the Galaxy attack.

Defender – the Gonzalos will be srtong but will cancel eachother out for awards, so I’ll go with Wilman Conde. When the games begin, he’ll turn it on for Chicago.

Goalie – I agree it will be Cannon.

Coach – Jason Kreis. For leading a team with 13 new guys (& no big names) into the playoffs.

6. j1 says:

I think frankowski is not going to have an impact this year based on how he’s played recently. The starting forwards for chicago will proably be Rolfe and Nyarko since Barret has not looked good so far.

7. andy b. says:

Player of the Year: Ramiro Corrales, Quakes.

Defender of the Year: Ryan Cochrane, Quakes.

Keeper of the Year: Cannon, Quakes.

Coach of the Year: Yallop, Quakes.

Whoever I predict, I’m guaranteed to make a fool of myself, so I might as well go for the gusto. Everyone else is just guessing anyway. It’s like putting your money on the Raiders to win the Super Bowl next year: you’re an idiot, unless you turn out to be right, in which case you are a genius. Go Quakes.

8. CACuzcatlan says:

Ruiz for the Golden Boot.

Condoul for keeper of the year.

Gallardo for newcomer of the year.

9. j1 says:

MVP: John O’Brien

Rookie of the year: Dominic Cervi

Defender of the year: Kevin Goldwaithe

Goalkeeper of the year: Zach Thornton

coach of the year: Sigi Schmid

10. eric-dynamo says:

dynamo players taking it all.

11. j1 says:

Newcomer of the year will be alexandre pato when he comes to play for toronto.

12. Brian Idziak says:

Where is Guzan in your Goalkeeper of the Year Predictions? Have you written off Chivas USA all together?

13. PeteK says:

MVP: C. Blanco

Golden Boot: C. Lopez

Rookie: E. Allen

Defender: C. Albright

Goalkeeper: Z. Wells

Coach. R. Gullit

14. Aquaman says:

Brek Shea for Rookie of the Year

15. brett says:

j1- sorry to say but Rolfe is going to be starting out right mid :-/ it pains me to say that in this offseason we could muster up a right mid…. oh well Rolfe will still be one of the team’s leading scorers

most likely it’ll be Barrett and Frankowski up top at the begining, with herron as a sub or replacement… assuming Nyarko is progressing with stellar speed, i wouldnt be surprised if he gets a couple of games early and then who knows from there….

16. MLS MVP

Blanco.

Rookie of the Year

Chance Myers.

Defender of the Year

Jeff Parke (finally gets recognized)

Goalkeeper of the Year

Kevin Hartman

Coach of the Year

Preki (for gettin Chivas FAR into the playoffs and surviving despite the loss of Guzan during the summer )

17. j1 says:

I thought Brad guzan was still with chivas?

18. brett says:

he is still with CUSA, but they are going to want to drop him in the summer so that they can get some $$$ for him….

id be surprised if they actually keep him all season…

19. sidenetting says:

Comeback Player of the Year – Alecko Eskandarian (he’ll thrive in Chivas’ system)

Disappointment of the Year – Carlos Ruiz (he’ll start strong, fade and then return without much punch)

20. Gilly73 says:

MVP: C. Blanco

Golden Boot: C. Ruiz

Rookie: A. Iro

Defender: CJ Brown

Goalkeeper: D. Sala

Coach. Sigi Schmid

21. Alex says:

MVP: BECKHAM!

Golden Boot: Juan Pablo Angel

Rookie: Julius James (TFC)

Defender: Julius James (Double award)

Goalkeeper: Brad Guzan (Chivas)

Coach. John Carver (TFC)

22. EASTLACHIVA says:

No Chivas USA selections? Not surprised.

23. Jacob says:

Bouna Coundul as your GK runner up??? Are you kidding??? This guy is a clown and has no business playing soccer professionally. Precisely the type of amateur laughing stock the league needs to rid itself of…

24. 4now says:

MVP: Donovan

Golden Boot: Angel

Rookie: Iro

Defender: Parkhurst

Goalkeeper: Cannon

Coach. R. Gullit

25. Ives says:

EASTLA, I stated pretty clearly that Guzan will win goalkeeper of the year if he is around the whole season. I just happen to think he bolts after this year.

As for other awards they could win, Preki won the coach of the year last year so he’s not winning again and I don’t see any other players challenging for MVP or ROY. I could see Claudio Suarez in the Defender of the Year mix but he just didn’t make the cut.

It’s not an East Coast bias thing, it’s just a “I don’t think Chivas USA will win any awards” thing.

26. 4now says:

word on bouna jacob.

ives, though i agree with you on cannon, I think this is the weakest part of your soccer brain.

27. CACuzcatlan says:

IIRC Condoul was 3rd in GAA last year. He may make his saves look more acrobatic than necessary, but if you look at the stats and watch him play, you can’t say he’s a bad keeper.

28. EASTLACHIVA says:

I’m not offended, Ives. Hell, I respect everything you put on this blog.

Then again, we are the best, unknown team in the MLS. Guzan will disappear but not my Goats.

29. SportzNut21 says:

Posted by: Ives | March 28, 2008 at 04:58 PM

We don’t need any individual silverware — the MLS Cup is big enough for the whole team.

VAMOS LOS GOATS — esta en tu sangre!

30. Reid says:

Ives, can you put a question up by the end of the year about the best commercial of the year from FSC

31. Ceez says:

GOLDEN BOOT:

Take into account his past success in LA and considering that Becks and Donovan will be feeding him with chances. I believe this will be a huge season for him.

Sorry JPA. Red Bulls fan here but I have a strong feeling about this.

32. Ceez says:

And by “him” I meant CARLOS RUIZ.

33. DeliBelly says:

Ives — You are WAY off on the pick of Jimmy Conrad as finalist for defender of the year. He’s still a good defender. But judging by his MLS performance of 2007 and his extended absence from the National team, it looks like he is a couple of years past his peak in a league where the quality continues to improve each year.

34. MiamiAl says:

Come on people…Luciano Emilio!!! ..Especially now that Gallardo will be serving it up to him on a platter…REPEAT!

Coach: Osorio. Chicago was no fluke, and a slight improvement in NYC and he will be looking like a genius.

35. 4now says:

CACuzcatlan, I think GAA is never a useless indicator for judging goalkeeping. As far as I have seen him, he makes overly acrobatic saves mainly because he does not communicate/organize his defense very well and his positioning is dodgy. A fine shot-stopper in many regards but who isn’t these days. Hartman, Conway, Cannon, Onstad, Perkins, even Reis…are all superior, but will be on the lookout this year – would love to be proven wrong on this.

36. 4now says:

wups,

double-negative was a mistake…

37. Jeffrey says:

Rookie of the Year: Cervi. Oh wait.. never mind.

38. Tom says:

Even though its not PC to pick a DCU player, I think that the MVP will be either Emilio (w/20+ goals) or Gallardo.

When the Fire regresses to the mean this year we will see Blanco and his gimpy knees disappear for long stretches of games.

Defender of the year will be one of the Gonzalos.

Goalkeeper of the year should be the best goalie in the league, the evil Matt Reis.

Golden boot will be Emilio.

39. dcfr says: